Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Good Cause & A Bag

awhile back i did a post about using our sewing talents for a good cause.

with that said i would like to let you know about a fabulous cause that is right up our alley. my friend Sarah who blogs over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict has put together a challenge for all of us. its called Hands 2 Help Charity Quilt Challenge.

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE.

go visit her blog & learn about this amazing cause & how you can participate.




life if getting back to normal for me - again. i have lots of stuff to share with everyone, even stuff from quilt camp which was at the beginning of March. i am beginning with my favorite thing that i started at that camp but only recently finished.

the zipper bag as i call it.

i bought this pattern last summer on my annual trip to Sister's. the shop had one made up & it was love at first sight for me. needless to say i came home put the pattern away & sort of forgot about it. off & on i would come across it looking through my patterns. i would begin to read the instructions & put it away again. then i was digging through my fabric & the light bulb in my head went on.


this fabric + this pattern = wonderful


the pattern is No. 106 The Bijou Traveler by Serendipity Studio


the fabric is Montana Modern from Benartex


once i had this figured out it was time to study the pattern. i normally read through a bag pattern once or twice before i make it. i have made a lot of bags & a lot of the time the basic construction is similar. not the case with this one. this one had a big zipper, a grommet & didn't go together the way i normally make bags. the reading continued. i probably read the pattern about 10 times before i cut the fabric as i did not have room for error. the pattern is well written i just didn't want to screw up the bag.


i went to camp with all of the pieces and parts cut & ready to go. at this point i can't remember how long it took me to make it. it was the last thing i grabbed going out the door when i got the call that my SIL was in labor. i took it because so many other campers were eyeing it. when i left camp i had the short ends bound on the inside & just needed to finish binding the long curved top on the inside. i finished that last weekend & took the bag with me on my trip last week to New Mexico.


on one of the sides there is a pocket that is divided in the middle. the flap has a grommet in it so your headphones can come through it & your music player is safe inside. the flap/pocket closes with Velcro. the other side of the bag has one big pocket. it too closes with Velcro & is a great spot to stash your boarding pass & other essentials. zipper pulls on each end of the bag. the zipper wasn't as bad to put in as i thought it was going to be. i just read, re-read & read some more to get it clear in my mind.
the inside has pockets along both sides which you can make as large or as small as you want to. yes, that is a tennis ball that you see & no i do not play tennis. it works great for a back or neck massage just about anywhere.
it is a very large & spacious bag. great for traveling.

i will be making this bag again. i am sure it will go a little quicker then this one since i have one already under my belt.

4 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Awesome bag, Ann! I'm impressed - I seldom have enough patience to make a bag that complicated, so I really admire those who do! It does look like a great bag to travel with.

And thanks for your kind words and encouragement about the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge! I'm hoping for lots of participants!!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Beautiful Bag. I'm going to checkout the hands to help link now.

Talin's Corner said...

Love all the inside pockets. You can never have too many. The bag looks great.

Sophia Mia said...

Are you willing to know who your spouse really is, if your spouse is cheating just contact hackingsetting, He is good at hacking into cell phones,changing school grades and many more. This great hacker has also worked for me and my colleagues and we got results of our spouses whatsapp messages,call logs, text messages, viber, kik, Facebook, emails, deleted text messages and many more, this hacker is very fast, cheap and affordable. He has never disappointed me and my colleagues for once, contact him if you have any form of hacking problem, am very sure he will help you out. THANK YOU.

contact: hackingsetting50@gmail.com