With life at a simmer and sort of getting back to normal I decided to get out my Tula Pink City Sampler quilt and finish up the last 25 blocks. I love this book and how Tula put it together. The blocks are nameless and you the creator get to name each of the 100 blocks. As I have said in previous posts I have named my quilt The 100 Good Wishes Quilt. Each block named after a good wish. I was inspired by a necklace I have that has 100 beads on it for 100 good wishes.
I have done my best to stick as close as possible to the fabric/color choices that Tula did on her cover quilt. I normally don't do this however I love the rainbow effect the placement of the blocks gives this quilt.
I cut the fabric for the last 25 blocks and put the pieces of fabric in the book with the block that they went with. I made a huge mess getting out and going through my Tula stash in the process of doing this. Once I got done cutting I decided to have a mini Tula destash sale over on Instagram which is a whole other topic. Gesh....
|Blocks 1 - 75|
I posted pics on IG as I finished. I needed to keep myself motivated to get to the end.
|Good & Positivity|
|Sing & Cherish|
And then the Sewing Angels sang.....
And all 100 Good Wishes blocks were done. True confession.... I did a touchdown victory dance when I took the last one off my machine.
I knew that I wanted to do the Gridlock layout from Tula's book and I knew that I wanted to use Kona Ash for my setting fabric. I am not a fan of white in quilts so I looked for something with less of a contrast and landed on Ash.
I decided that I wanted to layout the blocks on my design wall to make sure they all looked good together and that nothing was wonky or stood out. I must say again. I freakin love my design wall. I have no idea how I have lived without one for so long.
I loved it..... except for one block.
So I remade it and its perfect to me. Love Love Love It!!! Can you tell which block I remade?
Prior to cutting the setting fabric I had decided that I did not want my sashing to finish at 2". I did not want that much space between these blocks. At first I thought 1 1/2" finished sashing would be nice but....... that was too much for me. So I have landed on 1" sashing and 3" finished borders. In my head it looks amazing and I hope that it sews out to be amazing.
I cut up the setting fabric and took my quilt off the design wall labeling each row. I tucked everything into a plastic bin where it will remain until quilt retreat the first week of March. I am super excited to see my 100 Good Wishes Blocks become a Good Wishes quilt.
In other quilting related things. I have sandwiched my Tula Pink Fox Field Mystery quilt and it is ready to be quilted. I am really trying to stay on top of my quilting this year by not having a pile up of tops that need to be quilted. Besides this one I think I have 3 others that need quilting. I think. There might be more but I know its no less than 3. Oh... wait... I just remembered another one so there is at least 4.......