Wednesday, February 2, 2011

WIP Wednesday

about a year ago at a quilt camp i met this great group of quilters who have a quilt shop about 45 minutes from me. sad to say, but it has taken me almost a year to get there. its called Material Girls Quilting & its a great shop with fabric, supplies, patterns, a big classroom & an accuquilt Studio Fabric Cutter. they rent out the cutter so people like me can come & chop up their fabric. so this past Saturday my friend Sharon & i had a road trip to Material Girls Quilting to use their cutter.
i got this fat quarter bundle sometime ago & really didn't know what i was going to do with it - shocking i know. it caught my eye, i liked the colors & it was on sale. so while i was thinking about what i wanted to cut on the machine this bundle came to mind & the tumbler dye came to mind as well.

so, in about 10 minutes i had my 20 fat quarters cut up into tumblers. the Studio Fabric Cutter is amazing. you can cut between 8 & 10 layers at a time.

my next fabric that i picked to hack up on the machine was my Poppy fat quarters & i knew i wanted to do drunkards path with them.

they were a little more time consuming getting them on the dye. the way i folded the fat quarter on the dye i was able to get 2 blocks out of 1 fat quarter with very little waste.

i think that these will be fun to put together & see how they look. i have no idea when they will get put together but they are cut & this is something that i would never take the time to do by hand so it was well worth the trip there.

this is Sharon getting her fabric ready for the machine.

this past week i was able to finish up my postage stamp quilt & i love it. all the fabric came from my stash so i think that is a double bonus.

this is the fabric for my next project. a quilt for my niece who is going to be joining the world in about 7 weeks - that's if she doesn't come early like her big sister did.
********
i am headed to the big city for a couple doctor appointments & i have a gift card to one of my favorite quilt shops that i got for Christmas. check back to see what i get with that gift card.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That is so cool to have a shop that will let you use there cutter. I love your postage stamp quilt. It is more than a double bonus for using only scraps.

Sarah Craig said...

Good looking projects, Ann! How lucky to find a place where they'll let you use the Go" Studio!!