Saturday, September 15, 2012

Oz.......

its done. its done. its FINALLY done.
what you ask?
my Jaybird hexagon Tula Pink Neptune quilt.
woo hoo!!!!!
i am so happy to have this done finally.  i started this quilt back in 2010 following a quilt along over at jaybirdquilts.com.  Julie took us step by step through the process of making hexagon blocks without using 'Y' seams.

 
i had a Neptune layer cake just waiting for the perfect project and this was it.  i set the hexi blocks in navy which i love.  i think it makes the fabrics pop.  in my layout i knew i wanted to bring the fabric out to the edges of the quilt.  i also had a honey bun of Neptune so i sewed some strips together and did a postage stamp type of boarder to achieve that look.
 
i quilted this quilt myself.  i shadow quilted all of the setting triangles as well as the hexi blocks.  its all free motion so some of the lines are a little wonky but i am ok with that because i am a little wonky myself.

 
i used the remaining strips on the back of the quilt.  i mixed it with some other fabric that i had in my stash that went with Neptune as well as some navy.

 
i was determined to use every one of the hexi blocks that i made in this quilt.  with my layout i had one left.  one single block.  i decided to use it as a label on the back of my quilt.  i just used my machine to embroider the name, year and my name on it.  simple but yet fitting.

 
i bound it in the green life preserver fabric from Neptune.  since this line is hard to find i would buy it whenever i came across it.  knowing i would use it somewhere on this quilt.

 
i love this quilt!!!
'The Oz Quilt'
a quilt made with lots of love and passion.  a quilt that has already been on a trip with me.  a quilt that will be with me for the rest of my journey through this lifetime.
 
happy sewing

1 comment:

Sarah Craig said...

How beautiful, Ann! I love it, and know you'll enjoy having it forever!!